Saturday, December 10, 2005

I wanted to LOVE Narnia, but I'll have to give it a "B"

Ok, here's what they did well:
Pevensie children are great. They are exactly as I pictured and Lucy is so adorable and loveable! Mr. Tumnus is great, too.
There are funny moments that are truly funny and they fit well.
The battle scenes and depictions of all the animals are excellent, but I would've been surprised if it didn't. In fact, they did the best bloodless battle scene I've ever seen! Jada is an excellent swordswoman and her fierceness shows well in the battle.

Here's where I was disappointed:
Aslan. Liam Neesan is not who I pictured for the voice. They showed a gentle Aslan, but where's the power? CS Lewis constantly mentioned the fear of Aslan, but no one seemed very afraid of Aslan in the movie. *I* personally think we should've wondered up through half of the movie WHO to trust, the queen or Aslan? There were also moments in the movie where sound could have been dubbed to increase volume on Aslan - make his roar surround us better.

The witch. She was not very animated. We were not so frightened of her power very much. She should've had more volume in her voice so that we'd be scared of her OR the music should've been scary music.

The musical score. Except for the few vocal arrangements, the score had no melodies that stuck.

Overall, my biggest issue is with the Director. He did not catch the spirit of Lion, Witch, & Wardrobe. That is why, he lost some lines that were very important to the whole theme. I totally understand the loss of book to movie, but that's why I loved Lord of the Rings. The themes were never lost even as total scenes and lines were changed and added.
We could've felt deeper Edmund's disgrace, the horror of the witch, the power of Aslan, BUT then it probably wouldn't have been rated PG. So, I probably just wish there were a PG-13 version, lol! This version is very safe, shallow, and kiddie.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home