Saturday, June 10, 2006

Public school, Christian school, or Homeschool?

Believe it or not, we've done all three of those options with our kids. Our biggest struggle is figuring out what mode of education to use. We don't blanket the whole thing and say, one method is the best for all times. And depending on the personality of the child, one method is definitely stronger than another.

We've been praying throughout this last year about what to do with our oldest son. He's entering 6th grade (middle school). I'm really leery of having him go to public school during middle school. However, as we looked at the other options, our opportunities have really narrowed down. 1) If I'd gotten the job at our local elementary school, it would've taken care of finances for a Christian school, but I didn't get it. 2) If my oldest didn't clash so much with me, I'd homeschool him. But, he thrives with other kids around. He does so much better when other kids are working hard. Also, he'll be in the gifted program, with other smart kids. 3) if the closest Christian school had more kids, we'd opt for that. But, it has TWO kids for 6th grade and that's the oldest grade. 4) The Christian school we'd be willing to pay 5k a year is 45 minutes away!

This leaves us with very few options. In this case, I feel like God has shut the door on all the possibilities - except public school. We've heard good reviews of our local middle school. The thing I hate the most is the *talk* among kids - not the school itself. I will drive him to school rather than take the bus. And I'm planning on substitute teaching at his school as much as possible. All that's left that we hate is that there's no Bible education going on. This means we have to work harder to provide it at home. But, I'm thinking that's what we'll have to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home