Friday, June 02, 2006

Hmm, it's feeling like a real church

It's been over 1 yr, now, since church services began officially. We have people who attend once in a blue moon, once a month, twice a month (probably most fit this category), and every week. We still get busy in spurts. Our ministries are not ongoing, so it's not like I'm running around to all of these typical church programs. But, then we have an event, and we're busy for a couple of weeks, nonstop. Once the event is over, we get slow. At least, I do, in my home. I just do typical housewifely things, which tends to bore me out of my mind.

Because my kids are all school-aged, I'm finally deciding to send them ALL to school next year, and I've applied for P/T jobs or substitute teacher jobs - whatever comes and whatever catches my fancy. This will be nice because it will give us extra money. Also, I might handle my time more wisely, staying busy on a regular basis.

One thing different from last year and this, even though our attendance average is only 20 higher, is that members are more established. Therefore, they are more apt to share their problems with us. We are now officially counseling as pastor and his wife. I must say the troubles we encountered at our former church have DEFINITELY helped us in this arena. People *think* I'm wise with my advice, and it seems to come second-nature. And then, I realize, besides the Holy Spirit giving me the right thoughts at the right time, that it is merely lessons I've learned in the past 4 yrs or so. Probably, 5 yrs ago, I wouldn't have even thought up some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth.

I am thankful that God uses us, He enables us to learn from our mistakes, and that He reminds us where we'd be if we didn't have Him to guide us.

The burdens of the congregation are definitely more pressing, now. It's not something that hit me all of a sudden, but one day, I just kind of felt myself really depressed. It didn't dawn on me until later, that I probably felt that way because of all the ladies I was helping, praying for, and generally concerned about. So, I'd just like to forewarn you, you *will* feel the burdens of the congregation. I just assumed my husband was messing up royally, and began blasting him (in my mind) for everything going wrong, lol! We had a good talk, and we're both back on track, now. Sometimes, I probably do get concerned that no one is there to hold my husband accountable, in this church. Can't he say "everything's fine" to everyone even if it's not? What if we two had serious issues? Who would intervene?

Thankfully, we *do* have good communication, we fight fair, and we don't share our complaints of each other to anyone else. But, we're not perfect, so I guess, in the back of my mind, I wonder about that kind of stuff. I know far too many pastor's wives who are depressed about their husbands being able to do anything and she can't do anything about it or *she'd* destroy the church, a spiritual institution. That's a huge weight. Thankfully, I have many loved ones who pray for me AND my husband. I know those prayers are keeping us steady. If you think about it, today, pray for your pastor's wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home